Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'm a Christian WRITER, but not a CHRISTIAN Writer

I know, it's confusing. So, let me explain:

I am a Christian. A Lutheran Christian, to be more precise. I am a writer. A chick lit writer. However, I am NOT a Christian Chick Lit writer.

Still confused? So are some readers out there.

For the majority of you who have not read the books in my Secret Keeper series, here's some background info:  I talk a lot about Lutherans in those books. I do this for several reasons. First of all, I've always been told to write what I know. Well, I know Lutherans, having been one my whole life. Also, Lutherans are very entertaining. Just ask Garrison Keillor. He's made a career out of us. Third, it just kind of happened that way, because when I got the idea for the first book, and it involved a pastor, the only sort of pastor I knew well enough to write about convincingly was a Lutheran pastor.

With me so far? Now, here's where it gets tricky (for some).

Just because I have Lutherans in my books doesn't mean my books are Christian fiction. To jump to that conclusion is like saying a book that has a character under the age of 18 in it is a children's book. Or that a book that mentions music is a songbook. Okay, maybe I'm oversimplifying a lot, but you get the idea.

I don't have anything against Christian fiction, but I don't write it. And I don't market my TSK books as Christian fiction, even though I extensively discuss Christianity (and those zany Lutherans) in them, because... well, readers of Christian fiction would be pretty ticked off (and rightly so) if they picked up one of my books, expecting to read something... Christian-y... and were slapped in the face by the first f-bomb they saw (Chapter Five in The Secret Keeper). Or were confronted with a semi-steamy sex scene (you'll have to find that yourself). Profanity and premarital sex are not elements of Christian fiction... ever...

This I know, for the Bible tells me so!

If people feel "misled" that I don't label my TSK series as Christian fiction, but then I dare to utter the name "Jesus" in my books (and not as a curse word) or have my characters discuss their Christian viewpoints, then... too bad! My characters are multi-dimensional. They have foibles and faith. They say bad words; they say prayers. They don't fit into boxes or under neat labels. And neither do my books. I hope that's what makes them interesting and keeps readers coming back for more.

You can download my hard-to-classify books at http://www.amazon.com/author/breabrown

And while you're online, please "Like" my Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/breabrownauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment