Monday, May 28, 2012

Three-Day Weekends

I love three-day weekends. That's hardly a startling revelation, I know, but my love and appreciation for them goes a little deeper than the simple fact that I don't have to leave the house to go to work. During my original career choice in life, there was no such thing as a three-day weekend. People want their news, no matter what the holiday or observance is. (That was red-flag number 2,365 on the list of "Hints I May Have Made a Poor Career Choice.") To this day, my husband doesn't get three-day weekends. People especially want their beer on Memorial Day and Labor Day. So, I know how lucky I am to get a three-day weekend, and I don't take them for granted. I still get a thrill on Sunday nights when I'm not feeling the usual Sunday-night "the weekend is over" dread.

Other reasons long weekends are so great:
  1. I'm home with my sweet kids, and not a single one of them is barfing or pooping uncontrollably or whining because of a never-ending runny nose or burning up with a fever. This day off doesn't involve a trip to the doctor or the pharmacy. This day off doesn't affect the balance of my days off from work. 
  2. Sunday naps are not only allowed, but they're nearly mandatory. Most weekends are too short to waste any of their hours with napping. But three-day weekends beg for naps. Go ahead! You have so many extra hours that you can easily spare an hour on the couch in a deep, dreamless sleep. Complete with drool. Oh, yeah...
  3. Three-day weekends are made for sitting in the shade in the backyard. Other weekends are too busy with doing and going and trying to pack in everything you think you want to do during the week while you're stuck at a desk. But the pressure is off during three-day weekends. Sit in the shade with a good book. You know you want to...
  4. Illicit late Sunday nights. Don't know why, but it feels so naughty to stay up past midnight on a Sunday. Not that I never do it on regular weekends. I often do, as a matter of fact. But on normal weekends, I know I'll be regretting my decision in a few hours. On three-day weekends, it's exciting to know that there will be no consequences for extending my Sunday into Monday morning.
  5. I love giving the double-wave to the usual routines and schedules. I eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm sleepy. Bathing is optional. Coffee flows freely. This may seem like something that could go on any Saturday, but when you have three kids (and one is a toddler), the routine rules the roost. A two-year-old doesn't know the difference between a Wednesday and a Saturday. He wants to eat when he always eats. He wants to fill his diaper when he always fills his diaper (generally, right after I've put a clean one on him). He wants to nap when it's nap time. But for some reason, on an extra weekend day, it's easier to disregard the usual schedules. And for someone who's usually pretty strict about such things (have I mentioned that I'm a bit Type-A?), that's delightfully freeing.
  6. Tackling mammoth jobs... or not. Most of the time, laziness wins out, but this weekend, my sister convinced me to spend a few hours cleaning and organizing my garage, a job that was LONG overdue. And you know what? It was a great feeling to accomplish something that seemed so overwhelming on the surface but that wasn't very difficult or time-consuming at all, once we got serious and just did it. And it's inspired me to take on some smaller jobs, like closets and toy boxes, on regular weekends. Look out, Goodwill and DAV. You're about to meet a frequent donor.
  7. Movie marathons! My eight-year-old son is my movie buff. Usually, he chooses to watch one or several of the Harry Potter movies when we have a rare day off together, but he also likes Nanny McPhee, The Pirates of the Caribbean series, Indiana Jones, and less-conventional films like Titanic. I've even persuaded him to partake once or twice in a little Pride & Prejudice with me, even though he always moans when I start up that DVD. He can't resist a good cuddle and some escapism with his mom. Today, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightly, and Orlando Bloom are entertaining us during his little brother's nap time.
But the BEST thing about three-day weekends is that I get the chance to see what life might be like if I were a stay-at-home mom. Sometimes I think, "This is grand!" but usually I come to the conclusion that Stay-at-Home-Mom Land is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here. It's not for everyone, namely... me. I like the occasional forays into the life, but it generally makes me appreciate that I leave the house each morning, if for no other reason than for a change of scenery. I'm nothing if not fickle.
For this particular three-day weekend, we have our military men and women, past and present, to thank for the respite from our usual routines. My heartfelt appreciation goes out to all who have served to preserve the freedoms (Sunday naps included) that we take for granted.

Sometimes I spend long weekends writing my books, which are available exclusively through Amazon. Please, read them. Then tell me what you think by visiting me on my Facebook author's page.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment