Monday, July 23, 2012

Decompressing

I recently took a rare weekend off. It. Was. Awesome. Between my day job, my writing, my editing side job, and marketing my books, I've been working upwards of 18 hours every single day for weeks. It's like I forgot how to relax. More accurately, I thought that if I let up on the pace, I'd get lazy and not want to work again. Ever.

Courtesy: Lifetime Entertainment Services, LLC
That's me on the left. Yeah...!
So this weekend (which I've dubbed the BEST WEEKEND EVER), I treated myself to a Drop Dead Diva marathon (thank you, Netflix). If you're not familiar with this show, I highly recommend you acquaint yourself with it. Heartfelt thanks to a friend who wouldn't shut up about the show and made me curious enough to spend my entire weekend on it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And I remembered there are lots of other things I like to do when I'm not writing. *Gasp!* Writing is NOT the end-all and be-all? That may be true. Now before anyone gets all judgey-judgey or starts thinking I'm losing my passion for hanging out with imaginary people, calm down. I have a reasonable explanation for this seeming break with my personality. Decompressing is important, even for someone like me, someone who uses writing as a means of decompressing. It's been so long, though, since I've taken any extended breaks that I'd almost forgotten my favorite off-hours activities. Here are my top five:

  1. Watch British period pieces. Oh, yeah. There's nothing like a good viewing of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow to recharge the batteries. Or better yet, Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth. Unfortunately, I rarely have five hours to devote to decompression, so CF often loses out to more snack-sized bites of fine acting. I hear he's terribly broken up about this, but there will be plenty of time for us to hang out together later.

    Photo Courtesy: BBC
    Really, Colin. Stop giving me the stink-eye.

  2. Play The Sims3. Mostly, I build epic houses. But every once in a while, I create Sims based on the characters in my books. Hmm... doesn't seem as much like "taking a break" when I admit that. But trust me when I say it's fun for me.
  3. Host game nights or movie nights with friends. Again, this is a big time commitment, so I don't get to do this as frequently as I'd like, but there's nothing like acting ten years younger (at least) and laughing until my sides ache. Not to mention, it's always fun to be with real people for an evening. At least, it's a nice change of pace.

    I think green's my color.

  4. Read Chick Lit. This may seem a little too closely related to writing Chick Lit, but it's nice every once in a while to let another author figure out how a story is going to work out.
  5. Goof off on Facebook. If I have to embrace the forum, I might as well enjoy myself. I've met some really fun, funny people. I like interfacing with them. And they're sort of real, right?
Wow. I sit on my butt a LOT. No wonder it's started to closely resemble the size and shape of my couch. You know what? Don't judge me.

Anyway, the point of this weekend was to get some rest and hit my reset button. I was relieved to discover I still know how to do that. And I hope tomorrow I'll be equally relieved to discover I'm okay with getting back to work.


Check out my website for all things Brea Brown (at least the stuff related to my writing). There, you'll find links to my Facebook and Twitter pages. You can also point and click your way to buying all my books from there, so you'll have something to read the next time you take some time away from it all. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment